Choose 3 teams:
TEAM 1 will play the game (any game) by the rules.
TEAM 2 will get a “special” set of rules, different from how the game/sport is
usually played. These rules are secret to the other teams. For example, I can pick the
ball in my hands as well as kick it. I can take the ball out of the hands of my
opponent. I can retrieve the ball from out of bounds.
TEAM 3 will observe while the other two teams play. Have TEAM 3 describe what
they saw. This “fishbowl” technique can sometimes help players see their behaviour
from a different perspective.
Take turns playing on each of the teams. After the games, discuss the following
questions as a whole group.
1. What happened during the game? Were the players on TEAM 1 unhappy?
2. Was there a conflict or confusion? Was there a potential for danger?
3. Discuss what happens when there are not the same rules for everyone?
4. Why do you think we need rules?
5. Imagine a life without rules. What would be the consequences for traffic, for
health and safety, for living in a community?
6. What happens in a sports game when the rules are not applied in the same
way for everyone?