The Church in DeM-Koy
You live in the town of DEM-Koy, a town of about 80,000 people. In the last few years, the population has changed radically because of refugees and migrants from Eastern Africa who left their homes because civil war crisis.
The issue that is now dividing the town is the cultural diversity of the refugees and migrants who are mostly Christians. The majority population in DEM-Koy is Muslim.
• The meeting will be chaired by the Mayor, and his/her decision on all matters is final.
• If you wish to speak, you should raise your hand and obtain permission from the Mayor.
• Comments should be brief, and should not exceed 2 minutes.
• The meeting will close after 30 minutes, with a vote on whether or not the Church should be built.
• Anyone attending the meeting is entitled to speak in the debate and to vote at the end.
• Flip-chart paper
• A watch or clock
• Small bell for the Mayor Preparation
• Photocopy the role cards, the description of the problem, and the rules of debate
• Prepare name tags for the different parties/groups that will be represented at the meeting.
• List the different roles on a flip chart so that everyone can see them.
• Make sure you have a space for the “Council Meeting” and separate spaces for the different groups so that they can discuss their position beforehand or meet with others.